Recs & Resources
The original inspiration behind this page was to put together a list of blogs I follow. I’ve always felt like I discovered new blogs by chance, so I figured a compiled blogroll would be useful to others looking for new and similar-ish blogs to follow.
Then I decided that I should just have a page for all my recommendations in one place. Feel free to use the mini table of contents below to navigate to different sections.
📚 Books (last updated 2/13/2022)
- Data Science & Statistics
- An Introduction to Statistical Learning - foundational knowledge in statistics/ML
- Build a Career in Data Science - career advice for those looking to enter the data science field; the authors also have blogs (see list of blogs below) and a podcast
- Ace the Data Science Interview - prep for data science interviews
- I also recommend browsing the Big Book of R for a giant list of book recommendations for data science, statistics, and (of course) R.
- Fiction & Nonfiction
- A Little Life - fiction/literary/LGBT
- Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind - nonfiction/history/philosophy
- The Murderbot Diaries - fiction/sci-fi
- The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness - nonfiction/history/race
- The Song of Achilles - fiction/mythology/romance
- For more of my miscellaneous book recommendations, see this post.
📝 Blogs (last updated 2/25/2023)
- Data Science & Statistics
- Cedric Scherer - data viz and tutorials in R, see his blogroll for more data viz blogs to follow
- Chip Huyen - ML and career insights
- Connor Rothschild - data viz and tutorials (and a beautifully designed website)
- Data Stuff (Erin) - data viz, especially map-based ones
- Emily Riederer - data science and R, wrote one of my favorite blog posts ever about causal inference
- Eugene Yan - data science/ML and career advice
- FlowingData (Nathan Yau) - data viz and tutorials, e.g. his plots about mortality
- Hooked on Data (Emily Robinson) - R and career advice, e.g. her list of career resources | co-author of Build a Career in Data Science
- Jacqueline Nolis - R, data science, career advice | co-author of Build a Career in Data Science
- JLaw - data science projects and sports analytics
- Julia Silge - screencasts on #TidyTuesday datasets
- Oscar Baruffa - R and career advice | maintainer of the Big Book of R
- StatsbyLopez (Michael Lopez) - sports analytics, I also read his advice about getting a stats PhD back in the day
- The Mockup Blog (Thomas Mock) - data science, R, NFL analytics
- Variance Explained (David Robinson) - R and data science, wrote a post that inspired me to start blogging
- Uncharted Data (Kyle Cuilla) - data viz and tutorials, e.g. how to create interactive maps
- Yihui Xie - thoughts related to his work at RStudio
- Many tech companies have blogs featuring their work, e.g. Amazon, (unofficially) Google, Lyft, etc.
- Amazon’s MLU has a site with nice visualizations of core ML concepts.
- Also check out R-Bloggers and R Weekly, both of which aggregate blogs featuring R content.
- Karl Broman - R and academia | biostats professor
- Live Free or Dichotomize (Lucy D’Agostino McGowan, Nick Strayer) - data science and statistics | stats professor, engineer at RStudio
- Rebecca Barter - R and data science, e.g. this post on how to organize your repository | epi professor
- Seita’s Place (Daniel Seita) - features some of the most detailed and earnest posts I’ve come across, e.g. his retelling of his oral qualifying exam, as well as highly technical AI topics | cs postdoc
- SimplyStatistics (Jeff Leek, Roger Peng, Rafa Irizarry) - data science and academia | biostats professors
- Steven V. Miller - R, academia, and political science | polisci professor
- JHU Biostat Students & Alumni
- Jacob Fiksel - now a statistician at Vertex Pharmaceuticals
- Marta Karas - now a manager at Takeda
- Runzhe Li - 5th year PhD student
💻 Software (last updated 1/12/2023)
- Detexify - find a LaTeX symbol by drawing it
- Inkscape - vector graphics editor
- Mark Text - markdown editor with real-time preview feature (WYSIWYG)
- Obsidian - markdown note-taking app
- RStudio - IDE for R